Friday, October 30, 2009

Food!

Either my sisters in law are really good cooks or the food here is just really delicious. Or, maybe it has something to do with the ingredients. Processed food here is very expensive and farm fresh food is much cheaper. Here is some of the tastier dishes we’ve had so far, and some other yummy things.

Fayrouz pineapple sparkling malt beverage, very interesting taste at first and now I love it more than any other soda

Fried fish (bolti=talapia) and Cabbage rolls (MaHshi)

Crab, BBQ fish (bolti) and salad

Teen, sort of like a fig. We found these growing on a tree in the park one day, they made a nice snack.

Red date. Very weird at first as I’m only used to medjool dates, but now we’re out of these and I’m craving some right now. Roqaya also especially likes these. (madjool dates start like this one and they are preserved through a process of deliberate and delicate drying over a period of time and under controlled humidity and temprature)

Fried cauliflower (qarnabeet)

Koshri. Major carbs but very delicious—rice, brown lentils, pasta, sauce, fried onions and garbanzo beans (humus) and a spicy dressing to go on top.

For each picture I added I want to say that dish is my favorite but then I remember the next picture and say, no that is my favorite. So, they are all my favorite :)

No comments: