A few weeks ago we did a lesson with the kids about Moses and the Pharaoh. How the Pharaoh was a bad man and very mean and that God helped Moses and the Israelites escape through the Red Sea. We've been following the events in Egypt since the protests began last month but haven't really involved the kids much with so much going on each day. But, yesterday that all changed when the Egyptians finally got what they were praying for. Last night we went over a few videos and pictures, showing the kids what the people in Egypt were doing. I told Karim the story of the Bad Man and the happy people of Egypt. We showed him these videos (the first one has English subtitles, but not the second which is the Egyptian National Anthem--correction: it's not the national anthem, it just contains the chorus line (ya belady, ya belady, ana behebak ya belady), the main words being "oh my country, I love you". Some of the images show some of the people who died during the protests)
then talked about why the people were so happy and what the Bad Man did to the people he was supposed to be helping, how he hurt Karim's aunts and uncles and cousins. Then he asked to see who the Bad Man is. We showed him a video of Mubarak giving his final, pathetic speech and out of no where the kids start yelling "get out! shoo! we don't want you!". I was surprised because I had not voiced my opinions out loud, just in type. It must be the Egyptian blood running in their veins.
Since we couldn't be with our Egyptian family yesterday we did a little celebration for the kids and ourselves. We took them to pray in the masjid and then let them pick what food they wanted. Karim voted for a hamburger from McDonald's, not what I wanted him to say, but they both got their happy meals and were happy. We came home and hung out together and had some chocolate cake the kids helped me make the other day. With all the excitement we didn't sleep until around midnight and I'm really tired this morning, but it was "once in a lifetime" day yesterday so I can't complain. والحمد لله رب العالمين
1 comment:
I love this blog post and I am so happy for your Egyptian family!
Post a Comment