Monday, November 9, 2009

Egypt is Dirty, Egyptians are Clean

After a month and a half, something I’m still getting used to is the dirt and dust. Egypt is a desert country so of course there is going to be dirt and sand. It reminds me of when I used to go camping and would try so hard to keep dirt out of the tent but no matter what I did—taking off my shoes, wiping my feet—dirt always got inside. That’s kind of how it is here, even inside. I guess that is why people don’t typically have carpeted floors, it’s usually some type of tile with area rugs in the winter that are easy to clean. I have noticed that if I sweep and dust, by the next day there is a new layer on the surfaces and floor. And this is in Alexandria, I hear Cairo is even worse.

With all this dirt around, I am amazed to see how clean Egyptians are. Everyone I’ve met takes great pride in the way they present themselves. Clothes are always clean and pressed. Kids are always clean with their hair done and their shoes polished (Egyptians have a thing for black dress shoes and after wearing my beige shoes for a week, I see why). While walking Karim to school in the mornings, I see most of the moms dressed like they’re going for a job interview, when in reality most of them are just walking back home. It is my opinion that people compensate for the dirt by dressing well. I don’t know, but it is refreshing to see such nice looking people, I think it would be depressing to see people in ratty jeans or sweats crossing a trash-littered street.

A few blocks from our apartment. Our street is kept relatively clean, not like this—sidewalks swept and trash collectors sweep the streets (not a street sweeper like we are used to, actual guys with brooms sweeping the street, it’s an endless job).

I don’t know if this picture captures what I wanted but this girl is an example of how most people dress—color coordinated, clean, etc. and to her right, a pile of trash-littered dirt. At home I am used to seeing people run to the store in sweats, t-shirt and tennis shoes—something Egyptians would consider strictly house clothes.

I don’t have a picture of the cars, but I noticed recently that people wash their cars every morning (actually, most people pay the doorman of the apartment building to do it). After I noticed this, I started looking inside the cars and they are spotless. Cars here are a luxury so most people don’t have them and most that do can only afford older cars. I have seen 30+ year old cars on the street shining like they’re brand new. A lesson I should take home because my car is always a mess.

No comments: