Friday, February 5, 2010
School
As I am closing in on my final month of school for my BS I am also coming up on the time to get busy figuring out what to do with Karim in terms of school. Since he turned 3 I have been brain wrestling myself trying to come up with the best option for us. Right now I am weighing the options between pre-K at the public school in our neighborhood, private cooperative preschool, pre-K at the Islamic school in our area, or homeschooling. If I decide on preschool I need to get him enrolled so he can start in the fall. If I home school I don't really need to get into formal teaching until kindergarten. As of now I am leaning more toward either the cooperative preschool and continuing what we're doing at home to get prepared for a kindergarten home school program. I really love the idea of home schooling because there is so much freedom to focus on certain things more than others depending on how his skills develop. I also like the freedom to use different learning styles including lots of hands on learning--there are so many organizations catering to home schoolers like the zoos, museums, aquariums, etc. But, I also like the idea of sending Karim to school for a few hours a day. Not only for my own benefit (selfish perhaps) but for him to learn the social dynamics of being in the classroom. Either way, as my sister keeps telling me, no matter what choice I make, nothing is final and I can experiment with different options until we find the best academic fit for Karim.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment