Thursday, June 24, 2010

Learning to Swim

We signed up Karim for swimming lessons in July. He is so ready for his classes to start, he's been a water lover since I can remember. He loves "swimming" in the bathtub, really he just dunks himself and slides around on the bottom of the tub. We went to our community pool this weekend to get him used to swimming in a pool. He had not been to a real pool before--he's had plenty of experience with their kiddie pool, the ocean, some rivers and water parks, but never just a pool. He was scared for about 2 seconds but once he was in that was it. We got the kids float suits last year which work really well and they like them. This way Karim could pretty much be on his own since the shallow end is 3 feet and he couldn't touch. After about 10 minutes of swimming he decided he wanted to get out and jump in from the steps. He did that a couple times and then decided it would be more fun to jump from the edge of the pool. It was all over after that, then he worked on jumping as big as he could. He didn't mind one bit being submerged in the water. I'm not sure how well he'll adjust once he's not in his float suit though, but that's why we want him to take the lessons--to be familiar of the water and not be scared.
Roqaya seemed to feed off Karim and was soon pushing my hands away and wanted to go off by herself. She wasn't as good at staying vertical so I still had to stay right next to her in case she tipped over. I was surprised when she started climbing out and jumping from the edge of the pool. I had to catch her though because she hasn't quite figured out that she needs to close he nose and mouth when going under the water. I think I was most surprised when Karim said he had to go to the bathroom. I assumed he would just go, but he insisted on getting out and going in the locker room, he found it unfathomable that kids would pee in the pool.
I was unable to get pictures since it was hard enough keeping track of the two kiddos. I'll try to get some when he starts his lessons since Roqaya and I will be in the bleachers watching.

No comments: