Monday, June 28, 2010

School, again




Since my last post about school, we did some research and found that Karim's birthday is after the state cutoff of September 1st, so for this year we have no option but to put off any formal class room activities. Then today I read an interesting article focusing on child development and education. After reading this I am leaning more toward just relaxing about school and allowing Karim to learn through our daily activities without forcing any major structure on him. I have tried some academic activities before like tracing letters and numbers and other preschool workbook activities and he has never really responded to them, in fact, he was rather resistant. I was worried that I was doing something wrong and that he was missing something and feared he would fall behind when it was time to officially start school. However, after reading the article and reviewing what I've learned about child development I think it's more important to allow learning to happen naturally at this point depending on what Karim is interested in. For example, he loves letters, words, 'reading', and books although I've never really sat him down and taught him directly, it's just something he likes and chooses to explore.
The article is a good read for anyone with preschool/kindergarten aged kids who are struggling with making a decision as it really helped put my mind at ease.
On another note, I know I haven't put up pictures recently and I've been really bad about even taking pictures of the kids. Here are a few of Karim being a goof. He found his tux from my bro and sis-in-law's wedding and decided he wanted to wear it. They just celebrated their 2nd anniversary so we were barely able to get the tux on, but Karim thought it was a lot of fun. He kept saying, "look mom, I'm a father, I'm going to work now"


Roqaya was indifferent to the whole thing...

You will notice though, she is in my patented (not sure if that's true or if other parent's have used this technique) backward pjs. She has recently been insisting to not wear clothes. This would not be such a big deal if she also did not enjoy peeing on herself and then running around laughing at how cool she is. I have also found one piece leotards to be helpful and not so hot especially once she figured out how to unsnap her onsies. It's a constant battle but so far I'm winning. I'm just glad she has the sense to remain clothed in public.

No comments: