Monday, November 9, 2009

Is Egypt a Muslim Country?

I’ve been thinking about this topic for a while but since hearing of the news back in the States at Ft. Hood I thought I would write about it. Since being in Egypt I have been surrounded by Muslims and have noticed one thing, Islam (the religion) is perfect, Muslims (the people) are not. I’m not sure why when a Muslim (or someone assumed to be Muslim) in America does something crazy Islam and all Muslims are to blame. When others do wrong they are labeled psychotic or crazy.

Anyway, enough about that issue. Possibly the obvious thing I’ve noticed since arriving is the choice of dress by some in the younger generation. Islam does not dictate a specific wardrobe, but there are guidelines on how women and men should dress. I don’t mean to judge anyone because we all have a choice of what we feel comfortable wearing, I just don’t understand what some girls are thinking. In Islam women are to dress modestly, covering their bodies (except for necessary parts like hands and face) and not showing their shape.

I have heard comments like “Hijab is taking Egypt by storm”, and it’s true, 99% of women I’ve seen wear hijab (the head scarf) and many wear niqab (the additional face veil). However, hijab in Islam is more than a hair cover. It is a measure of modesty, not merely an accessory. In Islam there is mention of the signs leading up to the Day of Judgment. One of these signs is that women in the streets will be “dressed but naked”. In light of this, I found the scene in the picture below very interesting.

The old and the new…


1 comment:

Still Thinking of a Title said...

I think you should have a weekly column some where. Very well written, Cecilia.